Sunday, August 15, 2010

15 years and counting


So, after going through ALL of our pictures on the computer, this is the only one I could find of us actually together. So, yup. 15 years of married life! I wish that I could say that we did something really cool for our anniversary or some major event that involved lots of 'just us' time but we weren't feeling it due to not wanting to spend all of our savings due to not yet having a job. We're starting to hear back from people, though, so we are confident we'll find something before we crash and burn. We fortunately have a little time before that happens. I definitely have a stronger testimony of saving to prepare for unforseen circumstances. I don't know what would have happened to us had we not had that reserve. Anyway, we ended up just hanging out and watching a documentary on George Washington (it was fantastic!) and eating together after the kids had gone to bed. We'll save our going out type of celebrations after he lands a job. The boys start school tomorrow and I'm excited for them; they are excited, too! I'm homeschooling Meredith to give her a little bit of a social break. She has unfortunately not had good school experiences; kids can be pretty ruthless and mean. My boys have never had problems like this so maybe it's just a girl thing or maybe she's just been unlucky. Whatever the case, when the time for school approached she actually started exhibiting legitimate signs of depression. She was that worked up about it. I was like, 'enough'. She is so happy to be staying at home and after I received a blessing from Jesse, I know we're doing the right thing for her. We're signing her up for art classes at the museum and hopefully soccer as well; that plus activity days at church and daily neighborhood kid interaction and I think her social needs will still be met. Even though this is obviously a bit of a stressful time for us right now, I am so grateful for always having Jesse around to keep me grounded and sensible. He is my best friend; we laugh and talk to each other alot, even though we still have our 'this marriage stuff is not fun' days. So we are optimistic about our future. Loves to Jesse!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Total sweetness, Katy! Your concern for Meredith brought back so many memories and worries that I used to have! It IS heartbreaking when your children get teased, I know because I raised three blonde-haired white babies on the "Rez". But they adapt and the older grades are definitely easier, I think because most kids mature and realize that being mean doesn't make them any friends, so keep hope alive :).

Cheyenne said...

Wow! 15 years! Y'all had only been married a handful of years when I met you and now look at your beautiful family! Time flies. Good luck with teaching Meredith, it sounds like you have it well in hand. Happy Anniversary!

tracyp said...

Happy 15 years! Congrats! Good Luck with the home schooling!