Sunday, January 15, 2012

Here I Go Again



So this past week I started classes for my second Masters degree. Yes. Second. And I anticipate a doctoral program in the future as well. I suppose I am a glutton for punishment. So let me tell you how I got to this point. As I am by myself with my kids, having a career is not a choice. And let me tell you that it is hard to beat teaching as a career that allows you to have the most time possible with your family. I go home from work when they get off school. Aside for the few teacher conference and in-service days, I have the same holidays off. Yes, the pay is stinky but here in New Mexico I have the ability to top out a little higher than a lot of other states. And teaching out here on the reservation I have the opportunity to live in a decent place as a part of my benefits. This is basically the best gig I'm going to get right now and it is fortunate for me that I LOVE it! So, since I did not go to school to be a teacher, but did go to teach preschool, my employer is requiring me to take some extra classes for certification (out here on the rez this is called alternative certification and there are many teachers who did not go to school to be a teacher but end up teaching out here because of the ability to begin working while simultaneously getting certification). I have 3 years to complete this. I was like, if I'm going to school for certification, I might as well put in a little extra effort and obtain a Masters in elementary education. I will have a psychology, music and early childhood endorsement so I will be fairly marketable as far as teaching goes. I also plan to use my Masters degrees to teach college part time. So here I go again. I am really excited!!

*As you probably guessed from the above logo, I am attending Western New Mexico University; they have a great program designed specifically for teachers already working in the field.

1 comment:

holley family said...

way to go katy! you totally inspire me! just know you've got a cheering section here on the east coast of NC :)