Thursday, December 4, 2008

As requested

Here is the recipe for the rolls:

Mother's Rolls:
1/2 cup Crisco
1/4 cup sugar
1 heaping tsp salt
1/2 cup boiling water
1 pkg. yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 egg, beaten
3 cups all-purpose flour

Cream Crisco, sugar and salt. Add boiling water. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water; add egg. Combine with shortening mixture and then add flour. Beat well, then set aside at room temp. for about 30 minutes; refrigerate until needed. Shape into rolls and bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until brown.

*I doubled this recipe and it fit great into a greased 9x13 pan. The rolls were very big and soft. Yummy.
*I also did not refrigerate the dough because I made it the day of, so I don't know how long you can refrigerate it or if it gets that alcoholic taste from the yeast or not.

The cookbook is Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics. I love this cookbook; I haven't tried a recipe that wasn't good. Highly recommend this book!

In other news, because I know you want to know, my kids have only been to school ONE day this week. We had no sooner gotten over pink eye (even poor Adam) and sore throats then we had all-through-the-night vomiting. Lovely, isn't it? The school will call Social Services on you after 7 (I think) unverified absences so I have been calling the secretary at the school and letting them know every day that my kids are still sick. I hope she believes me. Anyways, I'm sure we'll heal up soon.

4 comments:

Cheyenne said...

If worse comes to worse, I can be a character witness! ;)

Jessica said...

Sorry about all the puke and pink eye. I hope it all passes very quickly.

I am definitely going to try that recipe! I LOVE bread! I spent a good portion of my day today grinding wheat (I borrowed my friends wheat grinder:) It worked great, but it was really loud.)

The Bozemans said...

I just may have to try that recipe! Oh, your background is really cute, too!

Anonymous said...

Okay, were those the rolls that you brought over last night? Because they seemed to be whole wheat, and they were yummy too!! The SOUP was killer!! You really must post that recipe also!! You are totally "Homemaker of the Month"!!