Thursday, March 27, 2008

Our Home

I thought I would post some pictures of the landscape where we lived and tell a little interesting facts about the area. New Mexico is so different from Alabama. Well, at least where we are anyway. When we go to Albuquerque for the temple or something, it reminds me more of home. However, out here, life is interesting. OK, it's really too slow a pace of life to be interesting, but we are loving it here. The people have been so nice and welcoming and we've been treated like family. According to some facts I looked up on the Internet, the population of our little town is about 1800, we're at an elevation of about 7200 feet and our county is one of only 3 counties in the entire US where the most spoken language at home is not English or Spanish, it's Navajo. The kids get Navajo language class every day at school. Jeremy and Meredith are part of a small minority of white kids at their school. I don't worry about it too much, though, because while they may get picked on from time to time for being white, I know that nothing violent or bad will happen to them because the people here are just not that way. It's true that we haven't lived here very long, but it seems to us that the Navajo people as a whole are a gentle and respectful people. It's pretty interesting to live here being a member of the church and knowing that these people are descendants of Lehi and all that. Jesse and I feel very honored that we were guided to come here and serve them. I'm sorry if my pics don't work; I'll try again later if they don't come up. Or try looking at the bottom of the page to see.

2 comments:

househunter said...

Cool photos. How fun for your kids to learn Navajo. The people sound nice. I hope we can visit you sometime. Jen

Meghan said...

Katy,
I am so glad that you guys are doing so good in NM, but we miss you in T-Town. Your new baby is adorable! And what a beautiful place to live.
If you get time my blog is at http://meghanmacarthur.blogspot.com/